2009年4月30日星期四

Nanjing! Nanjing! (2008)

I watched the film 'Nanjing!Nanjing!' made by the Chinese director Lu Chuan last weekend after being urged to watch it by my friends.In fact, I felt quite reluctant to watch such a visual adaption of the most brutal massacre in Chinese history happened in my hometown Nanjing (the place where I was born and lived until 18) in 1937 conducted by the military extremist Japanese armies. Nanjing was the capital city of China then, the atrocities within one week following the Japanese invasion on Dec.13th is beyond description. I didn't believe that a film could reflect the painful facts of that disaster. As a child, I used to visit the massacre memorial many times and by seeing those scattered piles of skeletons, I can imagine the mass murder committed by an extremist pretentious nation upon its neighbour. A film is just a way too frivolous for such a heavy event in history.





The result, as I expected, turned out to be disappointing, Lu Chuan indeed made an effort to make this adaptation, trying to show the hope of humanity by the end of the film. He tried to see the Nanjing massacre through the eyes of a Japanese soldier who had conscience, which was a good try but not innovative, for similar perspectives had been used in films such as 'Schindler's list', 'The Pianist', and were used better. Lu Chuan himself said that he wanted to depict Japanese soldiers as human beings rather than devils, for the latter would do no good but exempt them from their guilt. However, while the Germans have totally made the atonement of the Nazi conduct in WWII when their chancellor knelt down before the Jewish tombs,the Japanese PM Koizumi still paid tribute to the Yekusuni shrine where Class A war criminals were still enshrined

没有评论:

发表评论